Updated: Jan 16, 2020
It’s that time of year when we are bombarded with commercials and holiday displays from large corporations, all vying for our hard-earned money. But please don’t be fooled into thinking that Christmas will be a bust this year if you don’t give your significant other a Lexus. Buying something that was handmade specifically for someone on your list will certainly put a smile on the recipient’s face.
Here are some of the pros and cons of purchasing handmade gifts:
1. PRO: You’re giving a gift that clearly took some thought, as opposed to whatever you could find left on the store shelf Christmas Eve (you know who you are!). While every gift is appreciated, it’s always nice to know the person giving it actually thought about the recipient during the purchasing process, and the recipient doesn’t have to worry about whether they accidently got Uncle Fred’s gift instead.
2. PRO: The option to have it customized. Whether it’s something made with the recipient’s favorite colors, name, or initials, etc, the gift will be unique. Everyone loves receiving something that has special meaning – these are the gifts that become keepsakes.
3. PRO: You’re getting a high-quality product. The artist takes pride in taking the time to create the perfect gift for someone, and they want that gift to last. It’s not being mass produced in a factory overseas by someone you will likely never meet. If the artist is local, they’re not going to want to worry about running into a disappointed customer at the grocery store!
4. PRO: You’re helping support an individual rather than a large corporation. This helps the local economy and community.
5. PRO: You can do your shopping online, at local craft shows, or at local art/craft galleries. Make a list of people you are planning on getting gifts for and then peruse the “shops” – you never know when you might see something that with a little customization will be the perfect gift for your impossible-to-shop-for Aunt Mildred.
6. CON: It’s not necessarily going to be cheaper than something mass produced overseas (See number 3 PRO above). However, you will still be able to find plenty of handmade items that are affordable for almost any budget.
7. CON: You can’t wait until the last minute to order the gift. While large corporations can mass produce items in advance of the holiday rush, gifts that are handmade and customized aren’t just sitting around in inventory. They don’t get made until a customer orders them. However, with planning, this can be a PRO – just think, you can have all your holiday shopping done early, giving you more time to decorate the tree, plan holiday parties, or just relax and enjoy the holidays!
As you can see, the PROs outweigh the CONs when it comes to purchasing handmade gifts for the holidays. Regardless of the season, to ensure you get that perfect personalized handmade gift, be sure to plan ahead and give your artist enough time to get it created and sent out. Check out our website or contact us at email@example.com or 941-313-3337 to see what we can create just for you!